The submission deadline for Pre-Conference Seminars have been extended till December 15th 2017.
CALL FOR PRESENTERS
Special Music Education and Music Therapy Pre-Conference Seminar
Music Across the Lifespan: The Role of Special Music Education and Music Therapy
July 12-14, 2018
The Orff Institute
The aim of the 33rd ISME World Conference 2018 is to foster global understanding and cooperation among the world's music educators, by strengthening ties and sharing ideas about different aspects and issues within music education, in ways that promote music education for people of all ages throughout the world.
Music is an essential part of the human condition. For people of all ages, music plays an important and impactful role in their life experiences. Whether for leisure, livelihood, escape, or survival music helps many of us make sense of who we are and where we are going. The theme for the 2018 ISME world conference is Life’s Journey Through Music. This theme reflects the lifelong learning, lifespan development and life changing nature of music in people’s lives around the world. In Baku we will explore, interrogate, and perform ideas related to music as an integral component of the world we inhabit today and our hope for the future.
The theme for the 2018 Special Music Education and Music Therapy pre-conference seminar is Music Across the Lifespan: The Role of Special Music Education and Music Therapy. We invite presenters from around the world to share their practice or research experiences with special music education or music therapy for individuals of all ages. Presenters are asked to submit a proposal for a spoken paper, workshop/demonstration, or research poster at the upcoming pre-conference seminar.
The online submission system must be used for Commission Seminar and World Conference submissions. This system will be available to ISME members through the ISME conference website which will link with the members' website to check membership. (If electronic submission is impossible, please contact the ISME International Office by September 30, 2017.)
• All submissions and presentations must be in English.
• Every presenter or co-presenter must be an individual ISME member at the time of submission, at the time of acceptance and at the time of presenting.
• To be included in the published program, individuals must be registered on the Submission System. This includes co-presenters, panelists, and speakers on symposia. Any exceptions must be requested in advance of the submission.
• All Full Papers must be in the format of the Guidelines for Authors. Submissions that are not presented in the required formats will not be considered.
The deadline for submissions to the 33rd ISME World Conference and pre-conference seminars is midnight (your time), December 15, 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted. Applicants will be notified of the results of the review process for presentations on or before February 1st, 2018.
Successful applicants must confirm participation as presenters, by registering as a delegate for the pre-conference seminar no later than May 15, 2018. Should successful applicants not comply with this requirement, their submission may be withdrawn from the program.
1. Spoken Papers (practice or research)
3. Research Posters
1. SPOKEN PAPERS: Spoken Papers will be allocated 20 minutes for the presentation. Submissions must include a title, an abstract (300-400 words), indication if the presentation is a spoken research paper or a spoken practice paper, presenter(s), presenter role (primary or co-presenter), and three key words. Practice-based spoken paper abstracts should include background information, a detailed description of the proposed session, relevance to conference theme, and implications for practice. Research-based spoken paper abstracts should include background information, method, results, relevance to conference theme, and implications for practice. For research studies not completed by the submission date: a presenter may include a description of proposed data analysis and a statement about how their research study can inform practice in place of the results and implications for practice sections. These abstracts will be published in the Special Music Education and Music Therapy Seminar Abstract Book. Presenters who wish for their submission to be considered for publication in the 22nd Special Music Education and Music Therapy Seminar Proceedings have the option of submitting their full paper for peer review by November 15, 2017 or by a later date in 2018 provided by the commission chair. A presenter can submit only one proposal as a primary author/presenter in this category. A presenter may submit one more additional proposal as a secondary author/co-presenter.
2. DEMONSTRATIONS/WORKSHOP: Demonstration/Workshops will be allocated 30 minutes for the presentation. Submissions must include a title, an abstract (300-400 words), presenter(s), presenter role (primary or co-presenter), and three key words. The abstract should clearly provide background information, the purpose of the demonstration/workshop, content, method, relevance to conference theme, and applications for special music education and/or music therapy. A presenter can submit only one proposal as a primary author/presenter in this category. A presenter may submit one more additional proposal as a secondary author/co-presenter.
Demonstration groups of pupils can only be used if all arrangements are organized by the presenter, because the organizing committee cannot provide for this. For demonstrations of software or other equipment authors will be responsible for ensuring that the necessary equipment is available. Submissions must therefore include a full description of the equipment and facilities needed.
3. POSTERS: Abstracts for Poster submissions must follow the same rules given for Spoken Papers, above. Authors of accepted Posters are invited to bring with them a Poster to display during the Pre-conference seminar. Poster specifications (size, format, etc.) will be provided upon acceptance. Presenters who wish for their submission to be considered for publication in the 22nd Special Music Education and Music Therapy Seminar Proceedings have the option of submitting their full paper for peer review by November 15, 2017 or by a later date in 2018 provided by the commission chair. A presenter can submit only one proposal as a primary author/presenter in this category. A presenter may submit one more additional proposal as a secondary author/co-presenter.
Full Papers: Submissions with text between 1,800 and 3,000 words in length are required only for presenters who wish to have a fully refereed paper considered for publication in the 22nd Special Music Education and Music Therapy Seminar Proceedings. No more than a total of two (2) tables and/or figures may be included. These papers must include an Abstract (400 words) for publication with the paper and follow APA style. All Full Paper submissions must also conform to the Guidelines for Authors provided on the submission website.
MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS POLICY
In order to accommodate all presenters, we ask that one person submit no more than three proposals (as primary or co-presenter) for the 2018 seminar. Presenters at the Pre-conference Seminar are invited to present their paper as a Poster at the World Conference in Baku. Because Seminar presentations will be reviewed by the Commission for inclusion in the Seminar, presenters will not go through review again by the World Conference committee, but will be taken on recommendation of the Commission Chair for the Poster Session.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT THE SAME PROPOSAL FOR A PRE-CONFERENCE COMMISSION SEMINAR AND THE WORLD CONFERENCE.
COPYRIGHT (Full Paper submissions only)
At the time of a Full Paper submission, presenters must indicate agreement with the following copyright conditions:
I hereby assign to the International Society for Music Education (ISME), copyright of the Full Paper I am now submitting for use by the Society in all formats and through any medium of communication if it is accepted for Publication in the refereed Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings.
• I understand that the Full Paper I am submitting will be refereed for possible inclusion in the Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings and that it may also appear on the ISME web site.
• I confirm that the Full Paper is original and has not been published previously nor is currently under consideration elsewhere, that I have obtained all necessary permissions for the reproduction of content not owned by me (e.g., illustrations, photographs, charts, and other visual material, etc.) not owned by me, and that the Contribution contains no unlawful statements and does not infringe any rights of others.
• I understand that I will retain copyright of the original submission for purposes of duplicating the article, placing it on my personal and institutional websites, etc., but will give ISME the first and exclusive rights to publish the ISME-formatted and edited version in print or online in ISME Conference or Commission Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings and/or journals.
• I understand that if my Full Paper is not selected for publication in the Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings, then upon such notification the copyright will revert back me (the author).
For further information, please visit the website at:
or contact the ISME International Office